Vendor Diversification is underway and interoperability has been proven.
The main reason for Open RAN is “Vendor Diversification and Open Interfaces” – We now have new vendors in the RAN including Mavenir, NEC, Samsung, Fujitsu, Rakutan, MTI, Capgemini, Radisys, Dell, Intel plus others that were previously unable to participate in the proprietary world and we “have” Open and Interoperable Interface’s from the O-RAN Alliance.
- Rakuten Mobile has launched 4G and 5G commercial services based on open RAN architecture in Japan, leveraging multiple vendors’ radios.
- NTT Docomo commercially deployed Open RAN-based 5G sites in Tokyo.
- Reliance Jio, India, is building its own 5G network based on Open RAN technology. Bharti Airtel & Vodafone Idea has also deployed open RAN across multiple cities in India .
- U.K. government plans to accelerate the deployment of Open RAN networks there by increasing funding for Open RAN projects and setting new targets for operators to run 35 percent of the country’s mobile network traffic over open RAN by 2030.
- Five of the top European telco firms — Deutsche Telekom, Orange, Telecom Italia, Telefónica and Vodafone — called on EU member states in to urgently prioritize Open RAN.
Also, Open RAN will enhance the ability of operators to integrate new security platforms without implementing custom adaptors for vendor-proprietary protocols and interfaces. And and that innovation and supplier diversity in an open ecosystem will bring forward additional diverse security solutions to address potential threats and mitigate risk.
Enroll our 5G Open RAN Training to learn more